Saturday, November 14, 2009

Weekend Cooking: Dark Chocolate Cookies with Espresso

I've been in a bit of a blogging slump the last couple of weeks. Although I'm reading and enjoying the books, I just can't seem to get any reviews written. There's a new Weekend Cooking feature over at Beth Fish Reads that might be just the thing to get me posting again.

This week I made some of my oldest daughter's favorite dark chocolate cookies with espresso. The recipe came from Martha Stewart's Everyday FOOD magazine (the small one found at the supermarket checkout).

Dark Chocolate Cookies with Espresso

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa (spooned and leveled)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, 4 ounces melted and 4 ounces coarsely chopped

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

2. Using an electric mixer,beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in vanilla. Combine espresso powder and melted chocolate; beat into butter mixture. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Fold in chopped chocolate.

3. Drop dough by 2 heaping tablespoons 3 inches apart, onto two baking sheets. Bake until edges are dry, 14 to 15 minutes, rotating sheets half way through. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely. (To store, keep in airtight container at room temperature, up to 3 days).

Yield: 22 cookies

My notes:

These cookies are rich and delicious! The secret may be in using a high quality chocolate. I use Ghirardellli cocoa and chips. Enjoy with a tall glass of milk.

Visit Beth F's blog today for Weekend Cooking: Cookies, Anyone? and see what everyone else is cooking up.





22 comments:

  1. OMG! These sound heavenly. I may have to make these for my cookie exchange this year. Oh, why wait two weeks? I may have to make them tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yummy! I can almost smell the cookies from here!

    I have an award for you over at
    http://rainysnowyobsessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sound and look delicious as well as easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!
    You just added to my cookie repertoire; these sound too good to pass up. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! absolutely delicious sounding! I'd love these with a strong cup of coffee. Thank you for a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chocolate and espresso---two of my favorite ingredients! The taste of these cookies must be heaven! May I also suggest a scoop of ice cream to go along with them?

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound perfect. A combination of my two favourite things: coffee and chocolate! I'll definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look and sound delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmmmm...my mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth - You could always just test the recipe before the cookie exchange ;-)

    Laurel-Rain Snow - They make the whole house smell good! I'll be right over to check out the award ...thank you

    Nise' - If you like chocolate and coffee, then these are well worth trying!

    DS - Let me know what you think if you try them.

    Amy - These would be great with a big mug of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Matt - Coffee and chocolate are two of my favorites, too... and ice cream would be a perfect accompaniment!

    Reviewsbylola - You said it!

    Mrs. B. - Coffee and chocolate taste so good together! Let me know how you like the recipe if you try it.

    Book Psmith - This has quickly become my favorite cookie recipe. They never last very long though.

    Softdrink - It's funny how many of us are thinking about cookies today... these are great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hurrah - you got your apron on! I love to see baking and those look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think OMG is a very appropriate response to this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Verity - I actually though of you as I was tying my apron! A couple more weeks and it will be a Christmas apron.

    Zetor - These cookies are delicious!

    Rhapsodyinbooks - This is definitely an OMG-worthy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How delicious! I bet there some chocolately grins in your house.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Verity - Christmas aprons make the baking even more festive! I bought one at a craft show years ago when the girls were little.

    Darlene - Those chocolatey grins didn't last long...the cookies were gone in a flash!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm trying to decide on lunch and now all I want is cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stacybuckeye - Cookies for lunch sounds good to me ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails