Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Girl in the Green Raincoat by Laura Lippman


The Girl in the Green Raincoat: A Tess Monaghan Novel
by Laura Lippman
William Morrow Paperbacks, 2011

Publisher's summary:

In the third trimester of her pregnancy, Baltimore private investigator Tess Monaghan is under doctor's orders to remain immobile. Bored and restless, reduced to watching the world go by outside her window, she takes small comfort in the mundane events she observes... like the young woman in a green raincoat who walks her dog at the same time every day. Then one day the dog is running free and its owner is nowhere to be seen.

Certain that something is terribly wrong, and incapable of leaving well enough alone, Tess is determined to get to the bottom of the dog walker's abrupt disappearance, even if she must do so from her own bedroom. But her inquisitiveness is about to fling open a dangerous Pandora's box of past crimes and troubling deaths . . . and she's not only putting her own life in jeopardy but also her unborn child's.

My thoughts:

After reading What the Dead Know  in 2011, Laura Lippman became one of my favorite mystery writers. Her latest book, The Girl in the Green Raincoat, was previously serialized in the New York Times and has been called a "masterful Hitchcockian thriller from one of the very best in the business".

I'm usually pretty compulsive when it comes to reading series in order, but had heard this novella can stand on its own. While that is certainly true, I would have appreciated it even more if I'd already 'known' Tess and understood her history.

Still, this was a very well-written mystery that makes me want to go back and start at the beginning (Baltimore Blues).

My rating:

17 comments:

  1. I thought her earlier books were much better, so if you liked this one, I think you will really like the others! :--)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill - That's good to know. I'll be sure to start at the beginning ;-)

      Delete
  2. I liked this book too, and it was my first Tess book. Now Laura Lippman is on my list of authors to try to read more of. I'm with you in preferring to read books in order, but the premise of this book just appealed to me so much and I felt I got to know Tess pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JaneGS - I really want to know Tess's back story, so will begin with Baltimore Blues at some point. There are still several more of her stand-alone novels I want to read first.

      Delete
  3. Yay - a new series (new to me, anyway) to follow! (in order, of COURSE).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was my first intro to Tess too, but I loved it so I at some point will be starting at the beginning too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci - I found myself wanting to know what had happened to Tess *before* the story... guess I'll start with Baltimore Blues and find out!

      Delete
  5. So many love her books. I'm going to have to give her a try one of these days - maybe on audio. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dar - The audio version of What the Dead Know is excellent!

      Delete
  6. I've seen her books at the library but never tried her. I wonder how they rate on the violence scale - I tend more toward the cozy end in my reading, or at least I like to avoid the really graphic violence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - Lippman's books are not cozy, but they are far from violent (I'm basically a wimp, if that helps you decide).

      Delete
  7. Oh this sounds really good, thanks for the recommendation. I love good mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday Taylor - Lippman is a great mystery writer! I'd recommend one of her stand-alone books or starting at the beginning with the Tess Monaghan series.

      Delete
  8. When I'm in the stacks at the library, this cover always catches my eye and I've wondered if it is any good. I don't read many mysteries, but I think I would try anything described as 'Hitchcockian'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anbolyn- 'Hitchcokian' certainly caught my attention... just wish I had known more of the back story.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails