Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Tuesday Intro: A Few Green Leaves by Barbara Pym

On the Sunday after Easter - Low Sunday, Emma believed it was called - the villagers were permitted to walk in the park and woods surrounding the manor. She had not been sure whether to come on the walk or not. It was her first weekend in the village , and she had been planning to observe the inhabitants in the time-honoured manner from behind the shadow of her curtains. But seeing the party assembling outside the pub, wearing tweeds and sensible shoes and some carrying walking-sticks, she had been unable to resist the temptation of joining in.
A Few Green Leaves
by Barbara Pym

It's Pym Reading Week, co-hosted by Thomas and Amanda, and I have just begun A Few Green Leaves, Pym's last novel. I hadn't planned on reading another Pym so soon, but this first paragraph seems irresistible to me. What do you think?

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book she decided to read based on the opening. Feel free to grab the banner and play along.



15 comments:

  1. I agree with you. This intro does grab my attention. It makes me wonder, what's going on. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if it looks fun, I'd walk, too! :)

    I loved that you took a picture of the book with the vines in the background, by the way. And... I would love to read "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" too.

    Thanks for hopping by my Tuesday Teaser this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the opener...and I am definitely wanting to read something by this author.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Based on the gorgeous cover alone, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Barbara Pym! Every time I see one of her books I am reminded that I haven't read enough of her novels...enjoy!

    My pick this week is an "oldie" that I am just now getting around to:

    http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/06/first-chapter-first-paragraph-16-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know that I would be able to stop either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think she's got the right idea. Nice beginning to a book. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would keep reading based on this opening and I love the cover. It's pretty with the coloring and all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your week of Pym. I have never read her books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand irresistible. The intro makes me want to get some comfortable shoes and join them in front of the pub. Enjoy your Pym week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, I would keep reading. Hope you love it. Thanks for sharing that intro with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went to a huge book sale over the weekend (over 8,000 books) and was looking for Pym because of all of the blog love for her. Sadly, I didn't find any :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of the Pym's that I have yet to read. Sounds promising!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, yeah, I would definitely read on...after I googled "Low Sunday" on my iphone. I love the cover also--so very Pymian.

    ReplyDelete
  15. But of course. Sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails