Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Tuesday Intro: Black Lake by Johanna Lane

When they were little, the door to what was to have been the house's ballroom remained locked. They would stand at the threshold, rattling the handle, first the girl, then the boy, turning it left and right, feeling a split second of give, a moment of hope that this time it might open, but it never did. Their father said that the key was lost, that the room was never finished, that no one had been up there since the house was built. But that was a lie.
Black Lake
by Johanna Lane

That kind of opening always piques my interest. So many questions form in my mind and I can hardly wait to see what the next paragraph will reveal. The first section of this novel, AUTUMN, is ten pages long and beautifully written. I'm ready to move on to part two, THE SPRING BEFORE, where each of the characters will be given the opportunity to tell their story.

Publisher's Summary:
A debut novel about a family losing grip of its legacy: a majestic house on the cliffs of Ireland.  
The Campbells have lived happily at Dulough--an idyllic, rambling estate isolated on the Irish seaside--for generations. But upkeep has drained the family coffers, and so John Campbell must be bold: to keep Dulough, he will open its doors to the public as a museum. He and his wife, daughter, and son will move from the luxury of the big house to a dank, small caretaker's cottage. The upheaval strains the already tenuous threads that bind the family and, when a tragic accident befalls them, long-simmering resentments and unanswered yearnings surface. 
As each character is given a turn to speak, their voices tell a complicated, fascinating story about what happens when the upstairs becomes the downstairs, and what legacy is left when family secrets are revealed.
What do you think of that opening? Would you continue reading? I know I can't wait to get back to this debut novel (just released May 20th). Thank you Little, Brown and Company for sending me a review copy.


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book she decided to read based on the opening. Feel free to grab the banner and play along.



44 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful! I will look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat - I'll be giving this my complete attention as soon as I finish the two books on my sidebar.

      Delete
  2. I would continue…I feel like I've been seeing so many books about "wealthy family vacation homes/compounds/private islands" recently and I'm loving it! We Were Liars, Bittersweet, and now this one…

    Here's Mine: http://www.sarahsbookshelves.com/fiction/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday-intros-accident-chris-pavone/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah - I know! Funny, all those things - "wealthy family vacation homes/compounds/private islands" - are triggers for me to want to read a novel.

      Delete
  3. That opening does grab my attention.I want to know more abou the house.
    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee - I love openings that cause all sorts of questions to form in my mind!

      Delete
  4. The intro made me want to know what happens. I also want to know what it feels like to live in a house that might have a ballroom. If I couldn't enter, it would be even more intriguing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grammajudyb - LOL! Can't imagine what it might be like to have a ballroom in my house :)

      Delete
  5. Yes, I would keep reading. I want to know why the door is locked and if the key really got lost. Love the setting too.
    My Intror

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nise' - The setting is a big draw for me, too!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Kelley - I hope the rest of the book is as good as the first section. Reviews have been very positive so far...

      Delete
  7. I think a murder has taken place in that ballroom. Of course, I'm just taking a hot guess. I've had my eye on this book for a few days. Want to read it. I really like the opening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea - I was wondering if that might be the case. There's obviously been some sort of tragedy. Guess I'll have to keep reading...

      Delete
  8. Most definitely! This sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - I have high hopes for this one. Just need to finish The Interestings and The Bell Jar before I get too involved in it ;-)

      Delete
  9. I love the opening and description. Putting it on my Goodreads list immediately.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine - The writing is just beautiful so far!

      Delete
  10. Keep reading definitely !
    now I want to as well =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith Hope Cherrytea - I will! This book is off to a strong start.

      Delete
  11. Now I HAVE to know more! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel-Rain Snow - Me, too!! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Paulita - I do, too. The setting is another big draw for me.

      Delete
  13. Love that intro. It intrigues me and I would go on.....

    Here is my Intro post!

    AND

    Here is my teaser post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gautami - I love intros that draw you in and get you thinking right away!

      Delete
  14. I would keep reading. I want to know what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne - I can't wait to see what happens either!

      Delete
  15. How intriguing! I would definitely keep reading. I want to know the secret behind the locked room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literary Feline - I have a few ideas what that secret may be... wonder if I'm right.

      Delete
  16. I would definitely keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen - I definitely plan to continue!

      Delete
  17. WOW, what a terrific intro, it makes me want to start reading this one now. Great pick -- hope the rest is as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - The rest of that first section is just as wonderful as the intro!

      Delete
  18. I'm curious about what's behind those doors! Great intro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana - I am, too! Finishing up my current reads so I can continue.

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. Peggy Ann - This sounds like such an interesting story and the first section has certainly pulled me in!

      Delete
  20. It sounds intriguing. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How could you resist reading on after that intriguing opening? I'll have to see if my library has this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anbolyn - I can't! This type of opening gets me every time.

      Delete
  22. That kind of opening definitely hooks me in. In fact, I want to rush out and find this book now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couscous & Consciousness - I love openings like that, too! The book was just released yesterday and,judging from the first section, I'm sure it will do well.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails