Saturday, February 4, 2017

My New Favorite Kitchen Gadget: The Sprializer


I've always loved kitchen gadgets. From a cherished Cuisinart food processor purchased shortly after college, to various crockpots, a pasta maker, bread machine, waffle makers, and a panini press, various machines have made their way into my cupboards. Some have stood the test of time, while others have ended up donated or broken.

These days my primary concern when deciding whether or not to invest in a new kitchen is cupboard space... especially  here in my small Florida kitchen. (I'm still undecided about the InstaPot and welcome your thoughts.)  Last spring, after months of deliberation, I finally purchased a spiralizer. We have been trying to eat more vegetables and cut down on carbs, and spiralizing seemed like a creative way to advance the cause. I was right!

The spiralizer//

Many are available on amazon, and they vary widely in price, number of blades, and durability. I compared countless product reviews before purchasing the moderately priced OXO Good Grips 3-Blade Spiralizer with StrongHold Suction. (Please note: I am not an amazon affiliate.) The three standard blades offer all the variety I need... basically,  spaghetti, fettucine, and ribbon cuts. And I am especially impressed with the suction - it stays in placed beautifully!

I like this particular model so much, I bought a second one to give as a Christmas gift and then a third for my Florida kitchen.


The recipes//


There are entire cookbooks devoted to spiralized recipes and Inspiralized: Turn Vegetables into Healthy, Creative, Satisfying Meals by Ali Maffucci appears to be "the Bible." I bought a copy of this book for myself and one to go with the spiralizer I gave as a gift, BUT it wasn't necessary. All the recipes you need are available online.

Zucchini noodles, or zoodles, are quick and easy... heat some olive oil, sauté a little garlic, toss in the the zoodles, season, and you're done in 5 minutes.


Here are my current favorite recipes, all available online:


This is from inspiralized.com (the best recipe source) and is a new favorite. I've made it twice in the last two weeks.



Recipe and photo from skinnytaste... so quick, so easy, so delicious! I used the orange fettuccine blade for this one.



... a perfect cold side salad from peas & crayons. Scroll down for recipe.




Recipe and photo from inspiralized.com (again). Lots of ingredients in the recipe, but oh so good.



I've lost count on how many times I've made this one. It's from Cookie and Kate and is my daughters' favorite.


A vegetarian meal idea from inspiralized.com... next time I might try spinach instead of kale and use
gruyere cheese. I thought this was an excellent meal, but my husband missed having meat.


Do you spiralize? Would you like to?



Weekend Cooking, hosted at Beth Fish Reads, is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page.

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

34 comments:

  1. Oooooh, I'll be pinning all these recipes. Thanks to you, I went ahead and got a three-blade spiralizer (a different brand but it's the same thing). We are having fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BethF - I'm especially obsessed with the cucumber noodles this week!

      Delete
  2. You temptress, you. I keep seeing the pretty spiralized veggies in Wegs but they are SO expensive. And I laughed the other day to see that Whole Foods now has 'produce butchers' in some of its stores to chop things up if you don't want to. Much more fun to play with a spiralizer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey - I bought those ridiculously expensive spiralaized veggies in Wegmans a few times before deciding the spiralizer would pay for itself in no time!

      Delete
  3. I'm a kitchen gadget junkie. This is one gadget I haven't bought yet.

    Emphasis on yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - I resisted for a long time, too! ;-)

      Delete
  4. I've seen mentions of a spiralizer but could never figure out what I would do with it. However your list of recipes has me changing your mind. The Sweet and Sour Cucumbers alone make this gadget look worth it! I love most OXO Good Grips products I own and I'll have to check out their spiralizer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - Those cucumber noodles are my current favorite... so, so good! May even try to mix in some spiralized carrots next time. I've had very good luck with OXO Good Grips products, too.

      Delete
  5. Those recipes look so good! I love cucumber and zucchini and would certainly enjoy using a spiralizer to turn them into noodles. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jama - I've probably eaten more zucchini these past six months than I have in the last 50 years, lol!

      Delete
  6. I had one of these in my Vine queue a while ago and passed on it because I wasn't sure I'd use it. Now I'm kicking myself - those recipes you included look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy - It's a surprisingly versatile gadget... and lots of fun, too!

      Delete
  7. I don't spiralize but I am very tempted too. I did make courgetti (spaghetti made from courgette [zucchini])with a vegetable peeler but it was a bit time consuming and less professional looking. I haven't been able to justify buying a new gadget yet though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica - I tried using both a vegetable peeler and a grater before buying the spriralizer... too much time and too much work!!

      Delete
  8. Your spiralized recipes keep tempting me to buy one of these gadgets! I'm not sure I can sell my husband on the meals, but it may be worth a try, especially if I can throw some salmon or a lean piece of steak on the side for him. I'll look into this more once we've moved and gotten settled. Don't need one more thing to pack at this point!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - I won't be able to get away with that white bean and sweet potato recipe as a main dish again, but it sure was good! Salmon or steak would have made the meal... next time! Your move is getting close now. So exciting!

      Delete
  9. Your food looks delicious. I have that same one but it really makes me crazy...I guess I should read the directions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty - LOL, I hate reading directions, too! Just want someone to tell me, or better yet show me, how something works!!

      Delete
  10. I could eat all of these dishes - they look so yummy! We got a spiralizer late last year but we haven't really used it much. I think we need look for some recipes and get inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana - Inspiralized.com is the best website for inspiration, but I've found plenty of recipes on pinterest, too.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing this post! I am bookmarking it. I'm not much of a cook and don't usually enjoy my bland vegetables, but these recipes sound perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat - I've never enjoyed cucumbers and zucchini so much!

      Delete
  12. I DO enjoy using a spiralizer! I think I was so scared of them, at first, because I'm not super adept in the kitchen; I also was not sure how well veggie noodles would go over with my husband - ha! However, it has been a great success; I had no idea how delicious they would be and seem to add so much to each dish. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara - My husband is still not totally on board with spiralized vegetarian casseroles, but he's fine with some sort of meat or fish on the side.

      Delete
  13. You may have just provided me with the inspiration of what to get my niece for a wedding present. (besides cash, of course...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Care - My sister is having fun with hers, maybe your niece will, too.

      Delete
  14. Ooh, I love love love my InstaPot! Mostly, I love that I don't have to watch it while it does its job. But, as my husband reminds me often, a regular pressure cooker (which we already have 3) would do the job just as well.

    Now, I am undecided about the spiralizer though. Mainly because I haven't needed one yet so don't know what I am missing. That said, those recipes look very delicious and I know I want to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Athira - I've never used a pressure cooker (they scare me), but will probably add an InstaPot when we get home later in the spring.

      Delete
  15. Wow I need to get caught up to speed on spiralizing. I guess I didn't know much about this new trend, duh!! But it looks like it cuts up vegetables nicely. Different than a cuisinart though right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - Yes, much more "low tech" than a Cuisinart but a great way to make vegetables fun. BTW, I fished Behold the Dreamers yesterday and loved it. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
    2. So glad you liked Behold the Dreamers. I got caught up in their struggles.

      Delete
    3. Susan - So did I! Such an interesting perspective, unlike any other book I've read... my favorite so far this year. Still thinking about the characters.

      Delete
  16. My daughter just came back from a Whole Foods store with some spiralized zucchini, and I sent her a picture of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan - I bought spiralized sweet potatoes and zucchini from Wegmans several times before deciding it would be more economical to invest one of my own. The cucumber noodle kick persists... I have my father-in-law hooked now!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails